Lately….. life has been moving a million miles a minute that taking the time to cook a home made meal feels like a luxury. A couple Sundays back I was craving a classic, comforting, home cooked roast and I had the idea of doing a roasted chicken with my favorite fall vegetables. I had never made this particular combo together and in theory it all seemed to go perfectly together…… so I went to my neighborhood Trader Joe’s and picked up a grocery bag of less than 10 ingredients! I LOVE to cook and especially create new recipes in the kitchen……. so I was pretty excited to see how this would turn out. And can I just tell you……. it was absolutely divine, this tasted like Fall on a plate!
Here’s my recipe for a Roasted chicken with caramelized butternut squash, brussel sprouts and herb goat cheese crumbles. Simply serve up a side of quinoa and you’ve got a delicious, balanced meal that is oh so satisfying yet, healthy and good for you!
- 1 whole chicken (I always use organic, free range chicken because they have much less fat and taste waaaay better than that others.)
- 2 (12oz) packages ready to use Butternut Squash (You can certainly peel and dice a whole butternut squash……if you’ve got the time!)
- 16 oz brussel sprouts, cut in half
- 1 yellow onion cut in 1 inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tbs Herb seasoning (I used the Trader Joe’s brand BUT any will do.)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 oz Herb Goat Cheese
- 1-2 cups cooked quinoa for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a roasting pan, place all your veggies; butternut squash, brussel sprouts, onions and garlic. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Prepare your chicken for roasting by tucking the wings behind the back and tie the legs together. This will make sure that your chicken cooks evenly! Place the chicken in the roasting pan with breast side up. Season with salt and pepper. Combine 2 tbs butter with 2 tbs of herb seasoning and rub all over the chicken.
Toast at 400 degrees for about 25 – 30 minutes until chicken is golden brown then lightly cover the chicken only with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for another 20 – 25 minutes until chicken is fully cooked and juices run clear. Your veggies will be tender and caramelized! Crumble the herb goat cheese and sprinkle over the roasted veggies. Allow to cool for about 20 minutes before serving with cooked plain quinoa. Pair with a crisp glass of Pinot Grigio or Sauvingon Blanc. I hope you’ll try this recipe and love it just as much as I do.